Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Teenagers Are Just Big Kids

Mr. Doughboy and I combined a family when we got married. We each brought three children into the mix. The youngest four children were 14, 13. 11 and 11, respectively. Through the years, we've had a LOT of teenagers in and around our house. Some of them we met one day and didn't see again. But a few of them became regular fixtures just like our own kids.

They're all grown now. This year our two former 11-year-olds turned 18 and graduated from high school. All six of our Doughnut Holes are living on their own. We don't see them on a daily basis anymore. That means their friends don't come around much either. A few of their friends are far away pursuing some of the goals they set for themselves. Yesterday, I found myself thinking of two of them (Garrett and Heston). They were both teenage boys when I met them, so when they came over, they could really pack away whatever food I set out for them to snack on. At first, I thought I could use them as guinea pigs for any new recipe ideas I had. But I soon learned they would eat anything and be happy about it, so I switched over to relying on them to clean out the cupboards and pantry rather than connisseurs of culinary delights.

This Sugar Cookie Bar recipe was one of Garrett's favorites. Garrett is one of my daughter's favorites... who are we kidding? He IS my daughter's favorite. His pictures are all over her wall. The two of them exchange a flurry of letters every week. He's in Washington DC now and won't be back until June 2011. If I can figure out how to package these, I think I might whip up a batch and send them to him. A care package from the "girlfriend's mother"... that might surprise him a bit.
Sugar Cookie Bars (from Real Mom Kitchen)
1 C butter, room temperature
2 C sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting
1/2 C butter, room temperature
1/2 C shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)
cake sprinkles, if desired

For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie. Sprinkle cake sprinkles over top, if desired; then cut into bars.

No comments: