Thursday, September 3, 2009

All Things Beefy

We look forward to summer barbecues around here. It keeps the heat and mess out of the kitchen. I, for one, am not really a hamburger kinda girl though. I'd much rather have a steak. I think it comes from having lived in Argentina for a total of two years of my life. You haven't lived until you've tasted Argentine beef. My my my. Oh to be back in Buenos Aires and eating at La Estancia Restaurant on Calle Corrientes... or was it Calle Florida? Now I can't remember. But I remember the beef. I remember walking into the carnecerias and asking for cuts of bife de lomo or churrasco. Yeah, in case you haven't guessed... there's not an ounce of vegetarian leanings in me.

So, it's now established. I love all things beef. When we barbecue, I have a favorite marinade I use as well. I don't even know where I got the recipe-- it's been in my recipe file for so long. And now I'll share it with you... just in time for your Labor Day barbecue. C'mon now... don't wimp out and grill hamburgers. Get yo' beautiful self down to the butcher and snag some good cuts of beef and do the barbecue right!

My Favorite Steak Marinade
1 1/2 C water
3/4 C soy sauce
1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp dried parsley flakes (of course use fresh if you have it)
1 tsp dried thyme (same comment as above)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp pepper

This makes enough marinade for about 2 1/2 - 3 pounds of steak. Put the steaks in a large resealable plastic bag. Combine all marinade ingredients and pour over the steaks. Seal the bag and refrigerate at least 4 hours. (When I'm on the ball, I make this up with enough time that the steaks marinate overnight.) Turn the bag occasionally so as to make sure all the meat gets the benefit of the marinade. When you're ready to grill, remove the steaks from the bag and discard the marinade. (Weep while you do this since you know you are casting aside such wonderful flavor.) Grill your steaks according to preferences: 6-8 minutes per side for rare, 8-10 for medium or 11-13 for well-done.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Ooo...It has got to be a ribeye also. I love a good steak too. Have you ever put a pad of butter on top of your steak just after getting it off the grill? Try it