Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Heat Never Ends


So, it's September... and it's still hot. Too hot. I'm about ready for that crisp feel in the air that says apples (er... I mean, autumn) is coming. But... it's still hot as blue blazes. I need something to help me cool off. I'm a little tired of ice cream. So I decided to switch to sorbet.

When I went berry picking crazy last month and brought home 12 pounds of blackberries, I made some of them up into a blackberry sauce that will keep through the winter. This sauce can be used for lots of things like sorbets, granitas, souffles, syrups, etc. I thawed out a container of the sauce and made up some sorbet. We have the monthly whole family get together this week and if this heat continues, it'll be nice to have a light, cool sorbet for after dinner.

I, unfortunately, don't have an ice cream maker of my own. However, it pays to have foodie friends. Rookie Cookie loaned me her mother's (HenPecks) ice cream maker. Of course, Rookie has one of her own, but she claims it's all packed away in a box in the garage. (That... or she doesn't trust me with it. She was over here a month ago learning how to make croissants, and I'll bet the way she saw me beat butter with a rolling pin made her a little leary to loan me anything of value.) Anyway, I'm here to report that the machine worked just fine and the sorbet is delicious. The complex fruit base gives it a depth of flavor that leaves all the grocery store sorbets tasting flat and mass produced.


Blackberry Sorbet (adapted from Desserts by the Yard)
2 C warm Prohibition-Style Blackberry Sauce
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
scant 1/8 tsp salt

Make the sorbet base by stirring together the above ingredients in a large bowl. Pour it into an ice cream maker and churn according to the maker's instructions. The maker I used took about 25 minutes. When done, remove from ice cream maker and place into a freezer container. Freeze for a minimum of 4 hours before serving. This sorbet will last about 3 months in the freezer -- not that you have to worry about that. Trust me... it won't be around in 3 months.

3 comments:

Suz said...

Wow this sound great. So where so you get this sauce it sounds a little risky.

Have the doughboy bring some sorbet to work. It sound yummy!

whitneyingram said...

I am here to testify that this stuff is top notch. Complex and refreshing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.