Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Am Not an Alcoholic -- Or Even a Social Drinker

So... I don't keep alcohol in my home. That ended up being a bummer when I had long hair and needed beer cans to give it big waves and body. It also ends up challenging when a recipe calls for some sort of alcohol and I have none. Not only do I not have any, I live on a mountain. Going to the store takes time and planning. I can't just "run down to the corner market." Besides that, I live in a state that only sells alcohol in state-run liquor stores. I think the closest one is three towns away. In addition to all that, I've read that "the alcohol burns out during cooking" is a myth. So... since I don't drink alcohol, I've also made the decision not to cook with it.

What to do. What to do... when a glorious recipe for fruit bases includes alcohol. The answer? Find substitutions. So I have.

This recipe for Blackberry Sauce is a non-alcoholic version of Blackberry-Merlot sauce. I used it this week to make both Blackberry Sorbet and Blackberry Granita. A Blackberry Souffle is planned for next week. Can't wait! This sauce is AMAZING! It's so good, I think during wintertime, I'll warm it up, throw in a couple cinnamon sticks and drink it to warm my bones.

Prohibition-Style Blackberry-Merlot Sauce (adapted from Sherry Yard)
3 lbs fresh blackberries (you can also use the frozen kind)
2 peeled oranges, sliced
1 peeled lemon, sliced
1 C sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 1/2 C water
1 C Cran-Cherry juice* (or Cran-Pomegranate)
3 C grape juice*
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 C + 2 Tbsp raspberry syrup**
1/4 tsp Kosher salt

Bring berries, oranges, lemon, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, water, and juices to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Microwave the cinnamon sticks for 15 seconds to release the oils in them. Add sticks to the saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover tightly and let the flavors infuse for about a half hour.

Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice. (I use my largest Tupperware bowl.)

After 30 minutes, place a fine-mesh strainer over a medium-sized bowl and pour the blackberry mixture into the strainer. Firmly press out the juices. When finished, place the bowl over an ice bath and let mixture cool completely. When cool, add the raspberry syrup and salt; stir to combine.

Store the sauce in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.

*For any who, like my friend Shelley at Creative Cooks of Chugiak, believe that wine is the "other" fruit juice, you can substitute Merlot for both the grape and cherry juice in this recipe.

**For any who, like my friend Shelley
at Creative Cooks of Chugiak (who by now is likely smiling with Merlot happiness), want to add even more "spirit" to your desserts, you can substitute Chambord for the raspberry syrup. -- Just don't drunk dial me to tell me how delicious it is.

1 comment: