Monday, September 7, 2009

Dressing Up Leftovers


Leftover frosting. Both my favorite chocolate frosting and some dulce de leche frosting. Did you have a mom or a grandma that put leftover frosting on graham crackers and made graham cracker sandwiches? I did. So did Mr. Doughboy. I used to do that for my kids as well. But now our Doughnut Holes are 27, 24, 21, 19, 18 and 18 respectively. (Here's a riddle: the two 18-year-olds are not twins. They are a day apart.) So, I'm thinking graham cracker frosting sandwiches wouldn't be high on their favorite dessert list.

My solution for Sunday dinner's dessert was to make a chocolate cake. I put the dulce de leche frosting in the center and then frosted the top and sides with the chocolate frosting. It was ruled a hit by those that ate it (none of whom happened to be our children).

This chocolate cake recipe ranks right up there for taste, crumb and height. It is dense and rich with flavor. It tastes best if you make it the day before and give the flavors a chance to ripen.

The Best Chocolate Cake Ever
4 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 C unsweetened cocoa (best quality you've got)
1 C unsalted butter, softened
2 C sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tsp vanilla extract
1 C sour cream
1 C hot water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil two 9-inch round cake pans. Line them with parchment paper and then grease and flour the paper.

In either a medium bowl or on top of a piece of wax paper (my preference), sift the flour, baking soda and cocoa together; set aside. In a separate bowl, using your electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar until it is pale yellow and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating until they are well incorporated. Add the vanilla and mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the sour cream and the hot water. Begin and end with the dry ingredients.

Divide the batter between the pans. When filled, tap the pans sharply one time on the counter to release any air and settle the batter. Bake in the center of the oven for about 45-50 minutes or until the cakes are puffed and spring back when lighly touched.

Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool. When they are cooled, remove them from the cake pans. Trim the domed top off of one layer so that it is flat. Invert that layer on a serving plate so that the cut side is down. Frost the top of that layer using whatever frosting you desire. Place the second layer of cake, domed side up, on top of the first. Cover it with the remaining frosting. This cake is best served the next day.

Note: Because I was making this cake to use up leftover frosting, I used a dulce de leche frosting in between the layers and My Favorite Chocolate Frosting on the top and sides. To enhance the subtle dulce de leche flavor, I also placed three tablespoonfuls of dulce de leche (not the frosting, but actual dulce de leche) on top of the batter in each cakepan and swirled it with a knife to incorporate it into the batter before baking.

2 comments:

Megan C said...

You're gonna make me fat!!! Chocolate Cake AND Dulce de leche are probably my two most favorite things in the whole world! I will have to tell Otto it is all your fault when he has to roll me out of the house to take the kids to school :)

Best panini press said...


Woah!I'am enjoying the reading this website. It's simple,yet effective.I must say you have done a very good job with this.Thanks for sharing.
portable panini press
press sandwich maker
presse panini breville
sandwich grill press