Saturday, September 12, 2009

Breaking Bread - Citrus Style

So today I brought home a bushel of peaches from my favorite local orchard. You would think I would do something with all those peaches. But, instead, I looked over at my countertop and saw one remaining orange. I opened my refrigerator door and heard the container of ricotta cheese calling my name. (Okay, actually it was shouting "One week until my expiration, Flake. You might wanna do something about that!") So, I did what any budget-conscious Pastry Flake would do... I made Orange Bread.

I really enjoy this recipe. But, then again, I'm the one that always wants to give oranges equal time when I mix up cinnamon roll dough. I nosh down on Orange Rolls just as easily as Cinnamon Rolls.

Normally, I'd rather NOT post pictures of food gone awry, but today I'm making an exception. Even though the bread tastes divine, I didn't keep a close enough eye on it during the second rise (alright, alright, I admit it. I was Facebooking and lost track of time), so the loaf was larger than it should have been. When YOU make this bread, my young padawans (since you will do it correctly and adeptly), it should come out of the pan in a wreath shape. It makes it easier to slice that way. My loaf ended up... well... like a round loaf, so the slices end up with the shape of triangular servings of a layer cake. Oh well... it all eats the same.
Glazed Orange Bread
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 C warm water
1/2 C warm whole milk
1/2 C fresh orange juice
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp grated orange zest
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 1/2 - 3 3/4 C bread flour
1 egg, lightly beaten (for brushing dough)

Glaze:
1 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 - Tbsp fresh orange juice

In the bowl of your electric mixer, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until foamy (about 10 minutes). Stir the warm milk, orange juice, sugar, ricotta cheese, orange zest, salt and egg into the yeast mixture. On low speed, using the paddle attachment, beat 2 cups flour into the yeast miture until a wet dough forms. Beat in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until a stiff dough forms.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Add more flour to the surface as needed to prevent sticking. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover loosely with a damp cloth and let proof in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Grease a 10-inch springform pan.

Punch down the dough. Turn out onto a lightly floursed surface and knead for 2 minutes. Divide the dough into three equal ieces. Roll each piece into a 20-inch rope. Braid the ropes together. Coil braided dough in the prepared pan; tuck ends under. Cover loosely with a damp cloth and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the dough with egg wash. Bake until the top of the bread is golden brown about 20-25 minutes. Turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.

Prepare the icing: In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth. Spread icing over warm bread. Serve warm.

No comments: