Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Zucchini's Redeeming Grace

I am not a big zucchini fan. My friends tell stories of squash gone wild. A few cute little seeds put in the ground and next thing you know: A zucchini invasion. For this reason I never plant zucchini. I simply don't like it enough to endure all the zucchini casseroles and breads responsible home gardeners everywhere have to come up with to use up what these overactive plants create.

However. However. There is one thing I love. It's a specific recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cake that my friend Michelle introduced me to about four years ago. She says she got it from Penzey's Spices. All I know is I got it from her. Twice. The first time I tasted this cake I loved it. Seriously. It was at a church social function. I immediately went into stealth mode and stole two extra pieces. Yes, I said "stole" and "church" in the same paragraph. Glass houses, people. Glass houses and stones. That's all I've got to say about that.

I immediately requested the recipe and blissfully used it. Unfortunately I lost it a couple of years ago when we packed up and moved. This summer, as my friends began to bemoan their overabundant zucchini harvests, I began to fixate on that cake. So another lovely friend, Julie, was kind enough to give me three zucchinis. Which I promptly grated up and used to make this cake. Ahhh bliss.

Now, normally, this cake batter is topped with chocolate chips and nuts and then you put it in the oven. This is the best way to taste the essence of the zucchini that's in it. When you make this cake for the first time, I recommend you do that. This time, however, I was in a serious chocolate mood. (My youngest son moved to Florida yesterday and my daughter has been gone for a week into her own place. As you can see, I was in serious need of chocolate.) So, I decided to shake things up a little. I incorporated the chips and the walnuts into the batter and baked it. After letting the cake cool, I frosted it with my all-time favorite chocolate frosting. The cake is delicious and the flavor that is front and center is total chocolate.


Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1/2 C butter, room temperature
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 3/4 C white sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C milk mixed with 1/4 tsp white vinegar (sour milk)
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
4 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 C peeled and finely grated zucchini
1 C chocolate chips
1/4 C chopped nuts (optional)

Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan. If using a glass pan, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. If using a metal pan, preheat to 350 degrees F. Mix butter, oil and sugar until well blended and creamy. Add the eggs, vanilla and sour milk. Blend well. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon and salt. Add to the butter mixture and stir by hand to combine. Add grated zucchini and stir well. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and nuts on top and bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments: