Saturday, August 15, 2009

Hello Mr. Chips


I like to have fresh-baked cookies in the kitchen. Sometimes I get in a cookie dough frenzy. Actually, it's my practical side showing up. I tell myself that, since all the cookie ingredients are out, I might as well be efficient and take advantage of the time. I often mix up a batch of two or three different kinds of cookie dough. I will then lightly flour (very lightly) my countertop and roll each cookie dough into a long rope (about 2 inches in diameter). Then I wrap the dough in plastic wrap and hide it in the depths of my fridge where Mr. Doughboy and the little Doughnuts-Holes can't find it. Whenever I want to cook up some cookies, I pull out one of the cookie dough ropes and using a sharp knife, slice a dozen or so cookies (about 1/2 inch thickness), put them on a baking sheet and bake 'em up.

You can use the cookie dough rope approach with these. Don't apply the cinnamon/sugar coating until you're slicing them up to put them in the oven. Put the cinnamon/sugar in a small bowl and press each side of the sliced dough into the mixture. Then put them on the cookie sheet and away you go!











Cinnamon Chip Cookies
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup cinnamon chips

3 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Put butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in the bowl of a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour in 1/2 cup increments. Stir in cinnamon chips.

Stir together cinnamon and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl until well combined. Shape cookie dough into round balls; roll in cinnamon sugar. Space 2-3 inches apart on baking sheets.

Bake cookies 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Don't overbake. Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

No comments: