Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Secret to Getting Teenagers to Attend Family Functions

When my children were 5, 3, and 2 (yes, be impressed), I became acquainted with a woman who amazed me. Her name was Avonell (cool name, don't ya think?) and she had 10 children. They were all grown and out of the house by the time I met her. As I lived through my bleary tired days and my interrupted nights, I wondered how in the world she had mothered 10 children and kept her sanity... not to mention her refined and classy aura. My meeting her when she was 62 years old was proof positive that young children, and even teenagers, were survivable. Whenever she spoke, I would listen. One little bit of wisdom she gave out always stuck with me: "If you want your teenagers to participate in family home evenings, family get-togethers or family meetings, make sure the food is good... and always serve dessert." Avonell had a veritable arsenal of delicious desserts that she could be counted on to bring to any church pot luck or neighborhood block party. And, lucky for me, she was willing to share recipes.

This recipe is a favorite of my children, and now my stepchildren as well. It's quick and easy because it uses a boxed cake mix. I like it because it is cool. Not as in Joe Cool, but as in temperature cool and refreshing. Because of the whipped topping frosting, any leftover cake (as if!) has to be kept in the refrigerator. Somehow, that makes it taste even more satisfying to me when I sneak a second (who are we kidding??? um... third) piece after everyone else has gone to bed.

(Sorry about the quality of the picture. It got eaten so quickly I didn't have time to snap any good pictures before it was served up.)



Heath Bar Cake
Mix together:
1 box yellow cake mix
2 C warm water
2 eggs

Add 1 small pkg instant chocolate pudding. Mix well. Grease 9x13 pan and pour mixture in it. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35-40 minutes. Cool.

Frosting:
Mix together 1/4 cup melted butter and 1 cup powdered sugar. Fold in 8 oz whipped topping. Spread on cake. Sprinkle 3-4 crushed Heath or Skor bars over top of whipped topping mixture. Store cake in refrigerator. Hint: It helps to freeze the candy bars and then crush them with a hammer while they are still in the package.

1 comment:

Barney Blah...g said...

Hurray for the pastry flake!!!! (I did not vote for that or Running with spatulas but oh well,) I already want to try the pizza sauce, I have always wanted to have a homemade recipe for such a thing. Congrats on the blog, I am willing to sacrifice the drive to your house to sample and comment on any cooking needs you have. That is noble of me isn't it? HA, Love you, DeEtte