Wednesday, October 28, 2009

With A Little Help From My Friends

It really helps to have foodie friends. Especially ones that have food blogs. I have to give a serious shout-out to Rookie Cookie. Not only did she save me from a boring dinner Monday night with her Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes, but she also posted a delicious-sounding recipe for Swirled Chocolate Pumpkin Gingerbread.

As I read through that one, I kept thinking, “Flake, not only would that be delicious as written, but imagine it with Dulce de Leche instead of chocolate.” For three days I spun it around in my head. Finally last night, I made it, just a bit modified from Rookie's original.

Mr. Doughboy and I were at another friend’s house for dinner and a movie. I kind of took over her kitchen and said, “Don’t worry about dessert. I’ve got it covered.” After making myself at home pulling out flour, sugar and spices from her cupboards, I whipped out the can of pumpkin puree, a bottle of molasses, and a container of dulce de leche that I had brought from home. (Well, okay, actually I forgot the dulce de leche so Mr. Doughboy ran home to get it. As you can see, dessert production is a full-family commitment.)

Fifty minutes later, we were all blissfully eating this delectable gingerbread -- warm out of the oven.


Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Gingerbread
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup boiling water
4 Tbsp dulce de leche, divided
Whipped cream, for serving

Set oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, white pepper and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix until incorporated. Stir in molasses and pumpkin. Stir in the boiling water. Add the flour mixture and stir until well incorporated.

Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Place two 1-Tbsp dollops of dulce de leche on top of the batter and, using a butter knife, swirl to incorporate. Pour on the remaining batter and then top with the final two dollops of dulce de leche. Use the butter knife again to swirl the dulce.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

8 comments:

whitneyingram said...

Okay so that baking time is right. I completely guessed on that. Don't tell my readers.

Glad to see it worked out. But how could dulce de leche not work? I mean really.

Judi Lee said...

That looks amazing! I really want to make it but I'm trying to cut out refined carbs and with only two of us left at home, we would be eating it forever. Definitely going to put it in my recipe book for future reference though.

Judi Lee said...

The white pepper is an interesting ingredient. What would it be like if I left it out?

Karla said...

The white pepper gives it a little more "snap"... a little more "bite." You could leave it out just fine.

Anonymous said...

In the Tasty Kitchen posting the butter was omitted from the recipe. I'm glad I found your blog, which indicated how much butter to use.

Anonymous said...

If you add up all the dollops of dulce de leche, you get 6 tablespoons. Is that the amount to use or should you divide up the 4 tablespoons mentioned in the ingredients section into 6 dollops? Thanks.

Karla said...

Thanks for catching the error. I've gone back and fixed it.

Brett, Juliann, and Mae said...

This was so yummy! I can't wait to make it and eat it again!