Thursday, October 8, 2009

A.W.O.L.

Yep, that's me. Sorry. I've got a huge test I have to take no later than Monday, but possibly tomorrow. Huge. My ability to buy groceries depends on this test. My ability to pay for the gas that heats up my oven depends on this test. My ability to pay for the internet connection that allows me to update this blog depends on this test. So... yeah... it matters to all y'all that I pass this test.

So, miss me if you must, but send a prayer upwards that my little gray brain cells store all the info I'm reading. I'm praying for total recall when test time comes.

Look at it this way: If I pass, I'll celebrate with alfajores, bread bowls full of yummy soup, snickerdoodle cake, ginger spiced peaches, brioche, Mormon Margarita cupcakes, croissants and lots of other "let's get back to baking" menu items.

P.S. Yes, most days I've been studying with My Favorite Cookies and a mug of delightful Hot Cocoa warming my bones and waking up my brain. I am also enjoying the fruits of my earlier labors. After picking raspberries and blackberries this summer, I made up some Raspberry ganache and put it in the freezer. This week I've used it to make Raspberry Chocolate Hot Cocoa.

Okay, okay... I've got time to at least give you that ganache recipe.

Raspberry Ganache
8 ounces dark chocolate (I used Hershey's Special Dark Baking Bar)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 C raspberries, pureed and strained to remove seeds.

Bring raspberry puree to room temperature. Finely chop chocolate into small pieces (use a serrated knife for best result). Use a double boiler, or if you don't have one, place the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of a pan of simmering water. Melt the chocolate. Cool to 100 degrees F.

Melt the butter and allow it to cool to 100 degrees F. When the temperature of both the butter and the chocolate are at 100 degrees, pour the butter into the chocolate. Stir to combine. Use small circular strokes to minimize the amount of air incorporated into the mixture. Next stir in the raspberry puree using the same small strokes.

When the mixture reaches 70 degrees F., it is cool enough to use as frosting, glaze or in a pastry bag for piping. If you want to store the ganache for later use, place it in a tightly covered container and freeze it.

No comments: