Sunday, October 18, 2009

It Just Warms Your Soul

Chili... on Halloween. When I was a little girl, my mother always made homemade chili for us to eat before we went out trick-or-treating. She said it would help keep us warm while we went door-to-door. I think she did is as a fallback to her own childhood when going trick-or-treating on October 31st in Ogden, Utah usually meant some really nippy weather.

She forgot, of course, that my brother, sister and I were having our childhoods in San Diego, California. Different thermometer issues entirely.

But, nevertheless, the tradition stuck. All the while my kids were of ghoul and Dracula ages, I also prepared my own chili and sent them out with "warm" bellies to beg candy from the neighbors. Of course, I had the good sense to live in Utah so chili was, again, a logical choice.

October Chili
4 cans kidney beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans, undrained
1 lb ground beef
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (remove the seeds if you don't want the 'bite.' I, however like the "bite" so I leave them in)
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes (with juice)
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp basil
1/8 tsp allspice
1 bay leaf
1 sweet red pepper, diced

In a large frying pan, brown ground beef with onion, green pepper and jalapeno pepper. Meanwhile, put all other ingredients, except the sweet red pepper, in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Stir together to combine. Drain the fat off the meat mixture and add it to the stockpot. Mix well.

Bring chili to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 45-50 minutes. At 30 minutes, add the diced sweet red pepper. Cover again and continue simmering.

Taste before serving and adjust salt or sweet flavor as needed. Serve with shredded cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream, if desired. (And, yes, if anyone is asking... I always desire it.)

Note: If you want to make this in a slow cooker, follow the instructions as written except drain off the liquid from the cans of tomatoes and add the red pepper along with all the other ingredients. Cook in a slow cooker for 4-5 hours.

1 comment:

Suz said...

I love chili. As a child we at it all October, deer hunting season especially.

My children will not eat it. Who wants to make chili for one? The dish looks fabulous.